installing html email signatures for multiple users
So your company has created a standard HTML email signature for Mail and needs an easy way to get that signature installed for all employees, personalized with the employee’s information?
Hmmm… You could email everyone the signature file, with instructions on how to edit it properly, and point employees to one of the online tutorials (I’ve listed a few at the end of this post) detailing the process of creating an HTML email signature in Mail. You could send your IT staff to do the installations. Or you could write an AppleScript and email that to users with instructions to download and run.
I really like the third option.
Download CreateHtmlEmailSignature3.0 or copy and paste the script and edit to work with your template. The script is set up to use a dummy template; change the value of the
textHtmlSignatureTemplateUrl variable to the URL of your template. The script searches your template for placeholders named
PlaceholderUserEmailAddress, replacing that text with information that the employee inputs. The script works for Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8). (Snow Leopard uses a different method to create HTML email signatures, and I don’t have a Snow Leopard computer to test.)
The user needs the following for the script to run:
- The HTML email signature template has to be available on the internet. (You’ll want to do this anyway, for a number of reasons, including making updates easier.)
- The computer running the script needs an active internet conection (to access the online signature template).
- GUI scripting must be allowed. The script will attempt to enable GUI scripting, but users may need an administrator password to do so.
With a little editing, you can change the location of your email signature template. For example, you may prefer to use a location within your internal network instead of online.
Some tutorials for making HTML email signatures in Lion and Mountain Lion are:
- Create a HTML Signature in Apple Mail on Lion OS X 10.7
- Create a HTML Email Signature for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
- Creating complex HTML email signatures in Mail.app for Mac OSX Lion
- Creating complex HTML email signatures in Mail.app for Mac OSX Mountain Lion
Update: That first comment below is from John Connolly, a Apple Certified Mac Geek, Red Hat Certified Technician and a Microsoft Certified Professional who provides IT consultant services from his home in Canberra. I was prowling Twitter for something to do, and he had just the thing. Thanks to his help with testing and debugging, there’s an updated version of the script which works for iCloud users.
Update: The project is now on GitHub. Find it at CreateHtmlEmailSignature